Director of Housing & Communities
Job Title: Director of Housing & Communities
Reports to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: Staff within the Housing and Communities Directorate
- Lead the delivery of intelligent led customer demand services that improve efficiencies and customer experiences.
- Accountable for the undertaking market analysis, operating the service in accordance with agreed budgets and ensuring that costs are in accordance with reasonable benchmarks.
- Deliver a strong customer experience that is constantly improving through research into customer insight and is informed by the experience of our customers.
- Ensure that customers are involved in designing services and that they are engaged in a vibrant annual Service Improvement Plan.
- Development and delivery of Community Housing’s customer service strategic plans and provision of senior managerial leadership expertise on customer services, digital engagement, research, and insight to ensure effortless delivery of services.
- Work in partnership with other Executive Directors particularly to ensure that residents are engaged in the building safety agenda and that the team, work with residents to provide access and engagement when necessary.
- Deliver a neighbourhood coordination approach to ensure that our tenants know who to contact about their housing problems and that there is accountability to tenants in local neighbourhoods.
- Deliver a community coaching approach to local tenants and their families, i.e. meaning that neighbourhood coordinators refer people for employment and training initiatives, people are sign-posted to specialist services, some tenants are challenged about behaviour and the state of their garden etc. to ensure that we are doing our bit to foster the best outcomes for local neighbourhoods.
- Ensure that a positive approach is taken to collection of rents, service charges and former tenant arrears and work with customers in a proactive way to ensure that their income is maximised and that they can afford to pay their rent promptly.
- Be an active and effective member of the Executive team working collaboratively with the Chief Executive, Board members and Director colleagues on all matters of corporate strategy to ensure a growing and sustainable Group.
- Provide a strong response to antisocial behaviour ensuring that a multi-agency approach is taken, particularly to sensitive cases and ensuring that best practice is pursued.
- Oversee the production of a combined approach to supported housing, technologically enabled care that delivers strong outcomes for people.
- Deliver a strong approach to Safeguarding and ensure that colleagues respond sensitively and appropriately to customers with complex needs.
- Make sure that equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of service delivery and that measures to combat hardship and poverty constantly built-in to the delivery of services.
- Provide leadership in developing a culture that enables and emphasises agility, customer orientation and Community Housing’s values.
Experience and knowledge:
- Substantial experience of operating at a senior level in a complex organisation providing a full range of housing services.
- Experience of negotiating and influencing at a strategic level and building relationships and partnerships to enhance business opportunities.
- Proven track record of successful senior leadership within a multi-disciplined organisation including the formulation and delivery of corporate strategies, policies and objectives.
- Proven senior level leadership experience, leading and motivating teams within a customer focused environment.
- Experience of developing strategies for customer service delivery that work face to face, on the telephone and digitally.
- Experience of strategic implementation of Information Technology to deliver business solutions and improved customer experience.
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to lead sustainable organisational improvement and drive cultural change in a constantly evolving organisation.
- Deep understanding of the external commercial and political environment in the sector and ability to translate that into actions for Community Housing.
- Experience of developing a strong customer driven service culture with an understanding of customer demand, recognising waste and how to deal with it.
- High-level of knowledge and application in using a wide range of problem solving, decision making and process improvement tools and methods.
- Proven change management and project management expertise.
- Significant experience in continuous improvement or business process re-engineering.
- Chartered Institute of Housing or other relevant professional qualification or qualified by experience to an equivalent level.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
Abilities & Skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an approachable style.
- Strong negotiator and influencer, able to work intuitively with a wide range of stakeholder and secure buy-in.
- Able to demonstrate commercial acumen and entrepreneurial skills which enable the business to leverage best value.
- Proactively demonstrates a strong commitment to equality and diversity.
- Demonstrates organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives and meet conflicting demands.
- Numerate and data rational; effectively gathers, analyses and utilises information.
- Strong attention to detail and identification and mitigation of risks.
- Willingness to work flexibly on occasions regarding attendance at meetings, external conferences and other events.