Director of resources
Job Title: Director of Resources
Reports to: CEO
Responsible for: Colleagues within Resources Directorate
- Responsible for providing corporate leadership and the Executive Management Team (EMT) member responsible for developing and delivering the overall strategic plan of the business.
- Provide a strategic financial lead for Community Housing, ensuring there is comprehensive financial management, accounting, treasury management advice to the Board, its Committees, and other Members of the EMT. Ensure that there is full transparency of financial performance, cash-flow, liquidity, availability of chargeable security and performance against lender covenants. Support the CEO in advising the Board about future financing options and making practical preparations for accessing future finance.
- Oversee the risk management practices of Community Housing to ensure that risks are accurately assessed and that mitigation strategies are in place and are regularly reviewed. Ensure that the business is appropriately insured and to feed back to the business where improvements need to be made as a result of claims experience.
- Responsible for the overall security of Community Housing’s financial status including improvement of financial/Value for Money indicators. Be the “value for money champion”, embed Financial Golden Rules and instill commercial discipline in decision making, particularly relating to investment and business cases for new projects. Take the lead in developing the annual business plan forecast, ensuring that stress tests are performed all appropriate risk mitigations are considered and conduct appropriate consultations with EMT and the Board in doing so.
- Ensure that an annual procurement plan is produced and discussed with EMT and the Audit and Assurance Committee. The plan should provide assurance that value for money is being achieved across all aspects of the business.
- Take responsibility for overseeing the financial performance of major initiatives including their initial appraisal, checking due diligence and on-going performance in terms of providing a financial return to the business. Particular attention will be paid to the development programme to ensure that schemes adhere to agreed performance metrics, cash-flow forecasts and that liquidity is in place to meet obligations.
- Oversee the development of the People Strategy for the business ensuring that there is an effective plan to resource the business with people who possess the right skills and develop and train existing colleagues to ensure that they can fulfill their potential. Listen to colleagues and develop plans to make sure that the business performs well in terms of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Ensure that effective establishment control is in place and that payroll operations are regularly reviewed.
- Oversee the communications Team and work with the CEO to ensure that there is a regular transmission of messages both internally and externally and that the reputation of Community Housing is constantly being upheld and further developed.
- Attend and present, as required, strategic reports to the Board, committees and management fora. Ensure all strategic reports incorporate the appraising of financial performance and the continued development of financial and funding strategies to meet objectives and Business Plan. Also, appraise and advise on legislative changes and market opportunities to further Community Housing’s objectives.
- Contribute to corporate leadership, management, and the development of the business, driving the culture of continuous improvement.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Substantial experience of operating at a senior level in a complex organisation providing financial services.
- Experience of developing long-term business plans and budgets in complex organisations.
- Experience of negotiating and influencing at a strategic level and building relationships and partnerships to enhance business opportunities.
- Proven track record of successful senior leadership within a multi-disciplined organisation including the formulation and delivery of corporate strategies, policies and objectives.
- Proven senior level leadership experience, leading and motivating teams within a customer focused environment.
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to lead sustainable organisational improvement and drive cultural change in a constantly evolving organisation.
- Experience of developing a strong internal-customer driven service culture with an understanding customer demand and recognising waste and how to deal with it.
- High-level of knowledge and application in using a wide range of problem solving, decision making and process improvement tools and methods.
- Proven change management and project management expertise.
- Significant experience in continuous improvement or business process re-engineering.
Education & Qualifications:
- Qualified accountant.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
Abilities & Skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an approachable style.
- Strong negotiator and influencer, able to work intuitively with a wide range of stakeholder and secure buy-in.
- Able to demonstrate commercial acumen and entrepreneurial skills which enable Community Housing to leverage best value.
- Proactively demonstrates a strong commitment to equality and diversity.
- Demonstrates organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives and meet conflicting demands.
- Numerate and data rational; effectively gathers, analyses and utilises information.
- Strong attention to detail and identification and mitigation of risks.