Head of People & Culture
Job Title: Head of People & Culture
Reports to: Director of Resources
Responsible for: Colleagues within HR, Communications and Learning Team
- Lead the HR function in the delivery of outstanding people services and provide strategic HR advice to the Chief Executive, Executive Team, and the Board.
- Approach the leadership of HR from the perspective that “you are a business leader first and HR professional second”, i.e., you will be the principal change agent and deliver a commercially focused service.
- Support the Executive Management Team in developing and delivering the agenda for the People and Performance Committee and provide advice to the Board and People and Culture Committee.
- Develop the People Plan to modernise our relationship with colleagues, revise our terms and conditions of employment and take responsibility for delivering Corporate Plan targets and cross cutting corporate initiatives.
- Provide advice to managers about change proposals and difficult HR matters and where necessary, coach managers to enable them to secure the right outcomes.
- Through leadership of the HR Team, provide upskilling training to managers about dealing with difficult and complex HR matters to ensure that people issues are dealt with effectively.
- Develop an automation plan and aim to provide an improved HR and training self-service offering to managers and colleagues.
- Develop an annual corporate training plan that addresses development needs that are identified by managers and that are also focused on developing a customer centric, values and performance driven culture.
- Lead on the development and delivery of Communications across Community Housing’s internal and external stakeholders, to develop our brand and to protect and grow an excellent reputation.
- Lead on communication and marketing initiatives and work with the EMT and the Board to deliver this.
- Take strategic responsibility for developing our equality, diversity and inclusion strategy and action plans to maintain and promote equality, diversity, and inclusion practices throughout the company.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Leading, devising, implementing and evaluating complex organisational change programmes and HR/OD projects at senior level.
- Involvement in managing marketing and communications teams.
- Track record of transforming business processes to improve business performance, based on intelligence led data and strong project management skills.
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams through change-related projects and programmes designed to deliver workforce transformation.
- A successful track record of working with senior level management teams on strategy and change formulation, implementation and evaluation.
- Extensive ‘hands-on’ restructuring, redundancy and change management experience.
- Experience of working collaboratively with others to achieve success.
- High levels of IT literacy and an understanding of new ways of working.
- Evidence of co-ordinating and demonstrating the importance of value for money in everyday operations.
- Possess problem solving and analytical capability; experience of managing ambiguity, developing and analysing metrics to find root causes and develop short, medium and long-term plans.
- Proven track record of achieving continuous improvement to deliver value for money and efficiency.
- Able to understand complex financial information and have a knowledge and understanding of business processes.
- Experience of managing significant budgets effectively and achieving income maximisation.
- Experience of managing a team, motivating and supporting to achieve performance targets, individual development and service improvement.
- A proven track record of producing and implementing strategic and operational plans to ensure that targets are met, and that Community Housing achieves upper quartile performance compared to other RPs.
Education & Qualifications:
- Professional qualification or equivalent in HR or significant senior leadership experience in equivalent areas.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
Abilities & Skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an approachable style.
- Strong negotiator and influencer, able to work intuitively with a wide range of stakeholder and secure buy-in.
- Able to demonstrate commercial acumen and entrepreneurial skills which enable Community Housing to leverage best value.
- Proactively demonstrates strong commitment to equality and diversity.
- Demonstrates organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives and meet conflicting demands.
- Numerate and data rational; effectively gathers, analyses and utilises information.
- Strong attention to detail and identification and mitigation of risks.
- Willingness to work flexibly on occasions regarding attendance at meetings, external conferences and other events.