Head of Property Care
Job Title: Head of Property Care
Reports to: Director of Assets, Development & Sales
Responsible for: Colleagues within the Property Care Team
- Lead, manage and develop the in-house contractor (Property Care) delivering repairs, maintenance, investment works, building safety services, window manufacturing, grounds maintenance and cleaning services to provide excellent customer services, value for money that accords with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for the development of a Property Care business plan (turnover circa £15m) ensuring financial viability and value for money of the team.
- Procure and manage the Property Care supply chain including specialist sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Manage Community Housing’s vehicles and plant ensuring risk assessments, servicing and repair arrangements are in place to meet legislative and operational requirements.
- Responsible for the health, safety and management of the Property Care depot and office.
- Provide effective and inspirational leadership for the Property Care team and maintaining the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and conduct, and to direct, manage and develop staff to help them achieve their potential.
- Accountable for the timely production and publication of the annual and 5-year Property Care Business Plan. This will include collaboration with finance, housing, asset management and the property compliance team.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Good knowledge of legislation, regulation and good practice covering all aspects of repairs, maintenance and building safety services.
- Good experience of health and safety legislation in relation to construction, manufacturing and repairs services delivery.
- Technical knowledge in all areas of maintenance and building construction.
- Significant experience of managing maintenance services at a senior level within an inhouse contractor or private contractor.
- Significant experience and knowledge of the procurement and implementation of maintenance and building safety services at a senior level.
- Experience of managing in a customer focused, performance driven organisation.
- Significant experience of using customer insight data to identify trends and effectively target resources to address risks and exploit opportunities for service development.
- Experience of managing a team, motivating and supporting to achieve performance targets, individual development and service improvement.
- A proven track record of producing and implementing strategic and operational plans to ensure that targets are met, and that Community Housing achieves upper quartile performance compared to other RPs.
- Proven track record of achieving continuous improvement to deliver value for money and efficiency.
- Able to understand complex financial information and have a knowledge and understanding of business processes.
- Experience of managing significant budgets effectively and achieving income maximisation.
Education & Qualifications:
- Professional qualification or equivalent in repairs and maintenance or significant senior leadership experience in equivalent areas.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
Abilities & Skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an approachable style.
- Strong negotiator and influencer, able to work intuitively with a wide range of stakeholders and secure buy-in.
- Able to demonstrate commercial acumen and entrepreneurial skills which enable Community Housing to leverage best value.
- Proactively demonstrates a strong commitment to equality and diversity.
- Demonstrates organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives and meet conflicting demands.
- Numerate and data rational; effectively gathers, analyses and utilises information.
- Strong attention to detail and identification and mitigation of risks.
- Willingness to work flexibly on occasions in regard to attendance at meetings, external conferences and other events.